Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanks & Giving

You know, thinking about it now, it's completely unfortunate that our human race has deemed life "SO busy" that it takes most of us until November (Or Mo- for you charitable, creepy-stache growers out there) to start reflecting on our lives, family and friends.

When I said us, I include myself, wholeheartedly. If not more this year than ever.

I can't even put into words the thoughts, memories and reflections of this year entirely. I wish more than anything I could. Or at least shelled out the cash for a full-time videography crew to document my 2012, because that might have been my best idea to date. But joking aside, I wouldn't take back a day, week or month of this year.

I learned heartbreak at one of the most extreme levels.
I learned patience.
I learned sadness & sorrow.
I learned healing.
I learned the true meaning of life-long friends.
I learned that money will come and go, but memories will last a lifetime.
I learned that my affinity for boats and water still exists.
I learned that falling off the horse and getting back on, usually is a more exciting ride.
I learned old friendships that resurface can be some of the most entertaining ones.
I learned people don't change.
I learned that disregarding my health for 8 years and now trying to rein it back in, SUCKS more than anything. (But the every-day gym is getting easier, and funny friends help tons along the way.)
I learned that your heart feels most full after spontaneous weekends with your close friends.
I learned to let people in again.
I learned to never stop laughing at yourself, it's always the best medicine.
But mostly I learned that my family will never leave me, no matter how much they think I'm not making the right decision, being stubborn, ungrateful or immature.

Today is an ode to these four people; Mom, Dad, Shane & Beck. My lifelines at any moment I may need them.

"T"

Halloween at my house this year- Mom won the (non-existent) carving competition. 

My brother and I just had a conversation with a friend of ours about how much our mother really is worth, about how there really is a special place in heaven for her, and about how she doesn't hear it enough. This woman is absolutely incredible. She has a big heart that extends to friends and strangers alike, and she doesn't let anything get in her way of making things happen. She's a mover in all senses of the word. Currently, in a walking cast due to some fractures in her foot, she was still climbing my counters last Sunday teaching and helping me strip wallpaper, and clean my house. She's tough, that I'm sure. But like most moms, which took me too many years to figure out, and sometimes too many jokes from the boys and I, she's very fragile and needs special care. For all of the times I've been selfish, unruly, impatient, immature and a downright jerk, she ALWAYS kisses me goodbye, tells me she loves me and encourages my dreams. To you Mom, I could only hope to be half the woman you are one day. For you, I am thankful.

"Denim Dave"

"Coz' every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.."

When I think about talking about my father, I laugh. I laugh not to make fun of him, or to disregard all of his great qualities, but I laugh because we're so much alike it's frightening. He's crazy and fun. He hasn't quite let go of his wild streak, and I'm not sure he ever will. He loves to laugh, entertain and tell jokes. (Most of which are not that funny.) But the craziest of all of the qualities my father possess' is his guarded heart. I'm sure I have no idea what the burdens of caring and raising a family entail, or most specifically, being the bread winner for a house full of ambitious people. Nothing from our childhood was cheap... the sports, the equipment, the vacations, the sleep overs, etc., and this man carried the majority of this weight. In his old(er) age these days, the signs of his big heart are starting to show more and more, as the barricades come down. My father is an incredible man. He would do anything for us children, and his wife, and stands up for us always. He means well, instills knowledge freely, and has the courage to share his mistakes and failures as an avenue of wisdom for us. He's a simple man. Not much for the big city, or "all that jazz" that Shane and I enjoy, but he pokes fun because he wants the best for us. The best of everything for his children, because that's what he's spent his whole life trying to achieve. To you Dad, I could only hope to keep my wild spirit, whilst still managing to grow into this life and provide for my family like you've always done. For you, I am thankful.

"Banger"

Paintin' the town in Manhattan- Sept 2012

If I could bet on the man this guy is becoming, I would go "all in" on his color. Cocky yet sweet, bold yet humble, athletic but super dorky, my little brother has become someone I look up to. He's accomplished more in his 23 years of life than I have in my 26. He's managed to secure a successful job and potential lifelong career doing something he's very good at; BS-ing. (Also one of Dave's best qualities.) In all seriousness, this guy would give you the shirt off his back when you need it. He loves his family, even though he doesn't show it ALL of the time, and his jokes are plentiful, and sometimes more funny than Dad's. One of my best memories this year with him was hearing his reaction to the gift I got him on our arrival back in Michigan after our stint in Manhattan... When we were in NYC, we went to Newsies, The Musical, and he totally dug it, something I wasn't sure was going to happen. So on our last day while he was flying around Times Square, pretending to be Tony Stark, I ducked into a little shop and got him the CD recording of the live songs to remember our trip. ...Ask him what plays on repeat in his car these days, for which he would like a dash cam, and he can hit every note to every tune. ;) To you little brother, thank you for being the protective, goofy, lighthearted reminder of what life is all about. For you, I am thankful.

"Sister"

Rebecca with her friends in their second home- Slingers, MI.

Probably the most underrated person in this family, my sister is not one for the limelight like the rest of us. She takes to the background quite pleasantly, and relishes in not everyone being in her business. My older sister, the saint of my life, for sharing a room (which consequently meant EVERYTHING) to me, didn't have a shirt unworn by me, a glass of juice un-drank by me, or a new pair of earrings not lost by me. I wanted everything to do with her things growing up. We didn't always see eye-to-eye, which is a secret to nobody. We're very much polar opposites in looks, interests and activities. The thing that has taken me far too long to realize is all of the things I can learn from her. She's taught me patience, and emotions (gross). She's taught me how to cook, bake and where to get the world's best ranch. (yum) But most importantly, she's shattered the walls of society standards. She's taught me to love the underdog. She's taught me that it's OK to be different, stand up for yourself against the masses, and to cry, when it's necessary, even if I think it makes me weak. She'll be your biggest cheerleader, and your best call on a bad day. She'll relish in your happiness, and share in your sorrows. She is, by far, the definition of being an older sister. To you Sister, thank you for never giving up on me, through all of the frustrations, as I can only hope to be as strong for you in life like you have for me. For you, I am thankful. 


To all of my friends, family, acquaintances, strangers and enemies alike,
I would like to say I'm thankful for each and every one of you. For what you've brought to my life, what you've taught me in life, and what we will all continue to learn together.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!


Amanda Marie



No comments:

Post a Comment