Tuesday, May 25, 2010

If you see a faded sign at the side of the road...

My father always told me I wasted so much of my valuable younger years and lessons on my friends, being social, being active (which is limited to co-ed adult softball these days) and partying- which isn't prime anymore either. I was more worried about "missing out" on a certain occasion, or not being able to partake in the next day's reminiscing sessions, than catching up on homework, sleep or my health.

What is a BEST friend anyway?

Today, I am a 24 year old female with the very best of friends. Ironically, just last week I had a conversation with my roommate on the usage of the term "best friend," "bestie," "bff" or any other associated term. At 24 I have a hard time pin-pointing who this person, by societal standards, should or is in my life. How do you pick one? Does this one person mean just a little bit more than the rest? Do you determine this person by length of friendship, or how much you have gone through together? To me, a friend is someone who you can count on, you don't always have to see to maintain a bond, someone you enjoy sharing you most intimate times, secrets and embarrassing moments with.

For me, the majority of my friends are seldom those whom I've met in the past few years, which gradually have become the people in my everyday life, but realistically, my BEST friends have been around since high school, if not before then. My hometown buddies. Go ahead, laugh. Everyone does. "It'll never last," they say. They tell me, "the bonds you have with those individuals will cease to exist in just a few short years, along with the fact that you don't have anything in common any longer." I'd like to take that challenge from any opponent.

Since our 6 or so years ago HS graduation we have come into contact with brilliant, fun-loving, hilarious people. Our "group" now consists of additions picked up along the way through college, significant others and family. We all live geographically at least 10 to 20 miles apart from each other, myself and roommate being the farthest at about 100 to 150 miles. We make it a priority to see each other about once a month- no matter the season.

Summer, as it seems, just so happens to be the most exciting time of year for us. We are blessed to have some of the parents own cottages on lakefront property that they let us use- with less stress now that we're older. ;) Our greatest past times have come from one particular place, the "Love Shack" cottage on Loon Lake in Hale, Michigan. Here's where you can find us jamming to country tunes, frequenting the Long Lake Tavern or in serious tubing battles behind the speed boat. The weather need not be perfect, we seem to manage in almost any temperature and amount of precipitation. The food doesn't have to be 5-star, although if the women of the group had their choice we probably purchase a few more interesting things. The company is what does it for us. You can't imagine sitting around a big cottage, or on the dock with 10 of your closest friends...joking, laughing, drinking and naturally sharing in the small thrills of what life brings.


For the first time ever, Up North may boast a slightly different tune this year. We're no longer all single. Co-ed wrestling, teasing, taunting and rivalry is sometimes misinterpreted by the significant others of the group, and rightfully so. I suppose it's a transition into that "growing up," we're all doing. But no matter the weather, no matter the food, I'm very certain our tradition will continue to bring the biggest smiles of the summer to our faces. Because of this friendship we have created and maintained, that I wouldn't trade for any higher GPA, any different society to join, or anymore, if at all, studying I did for a particular exam. I'm happy, I'm blessed and I'm fortunate. I have thee BEST of friends. Dad...you were wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I love this... definitely something to think about! We sure hope to see you this summer :) Love you xO.

    ReplyDelete